ESR 06 : Chun Yin (Jerry) Lau
Chun Yin (Jerry) Lau received his Master of Pharmacy degree from the University of Bath. After one year of pharmacy pre-registration training, he has joined the pharmaceutics group in Utrecht University on April 2016 as a PhD candidate, working on the NANOMED project under supervision of Enrico Mastrobattista and Wim Hennink. His current research focuses on rationally designing self-assembling peptides that aim at cancer vaccine application. During his undergraduate studies in Bath, he has been working in Professor Randall Mrsny group for 2 years, researching on cell penetrating peptides and bioengineered chimera protein for siRNA transfection. He has also spent three months in Professor Klaas Poelstra group (University of Groningen) during his final year project.
Project topic: Self-assembling peptides as scaffolds for mixed epitope/adjuvant vaccines
His current project focuses on:
- Rational design of self-assembling peptides by using a combination of computing programs.
- Evaluate the physicochemical properties of the designed peptide aggregates by a combined computational-experimental approach.
- Validate the tumour antigen presenting efficacy of the designed peptides by in vitro and in vivo testing.
Home country: Hong Kong SAR/ Great Britain (Dual nationality)
NanoMed partner: Utrecht University
Supervisor: Enrico Mastrobattista/Wim Hennink
Starting date: April 1st, 2016
- Carter E, Lau CY, Tosh D, Ward SG, Mrsny RJ, Cell penetrating peptides fail to induce an innate immune response in epithelial cells in vitro: implications for continued therapeutic use, Eur J Pharm Biopharm, 2013, 85(1):12-19. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2013.03.024.
- July 2016 Nanomed kick-off meeting
- Ghent University
- University of Helsinki