ESR 10 : Jelle Penders
PhD student and Early-Stage Researcher in Prof. Molly Stevens’s group at Imperial College London, on the biochemical characterization of intracellular uptake mechanisms of innovative Nano formulations and drug-delivery systems. Previously I completed my MSc degree and research assistantship in Materials Chemistry and Nanotechnology in Prof. Martin Andersson’s group at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, including an internship at the Webster lab at Northeastern University in Boston, focusing on nanomaterials and nanomedicine applications for gold nanoparticles. I obtained my BSc degree in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering from the Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands, with a thesis in Prof. Nico Sommerdijk’s group focusing on the room temperature synthesis of magnetite nanoparticles and including an Erasmus exchange with Prof. Willem Koppenol’s group at ETH Zürich, researching the selective reduction of reactive oxygen species.
Project topic: Biochemical Characterization of the Intracellular Uptake of Innovative Nanomaterials
The aim of this project is to systematically generate a set of physical and chemical property correlations of the nano formulations generated in the consortium with a variety of biochemical assay-based results in order to optimize the synthetic parameters of the nano formulations.
Home country: The Netherlands
NanoMed partner: Imperial College London
Supervisor: Prof. Molly Stevens
Starting date: May, 2016
- J. Penders, R. Kissner, W.H. Koppenol, ONOOH does not react with H2: Potential beneficial effects of H2 as an antioxidant by selective reaction with hydroxyl radicals and peroxynitrite. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 191-4, 2014
- July 2016 Nanomed kick-off meeting
- ESR Student representative Supervisory Board, 2016-2017
- Royal Microscopical Society FIB & EM Prep User Group Meeting, Manchester, 5th October 2016
- Graduate/Professional Skill courses Imperial College London: Plagiarism awareness course 21st October 2016, Literature review and Publication writing courses 2nd and 11th November 2016, and Statistical thinking 30th November 2016.
- Ghent University
- University of Helsinki